Requirements for crew serving less than two years
Mercy Ships requires all crew to have adequate health insurance coverage for their time with us. Emergency evacuation and repatriation insurance from Talent Trust Consultants (TTc) is included in the crew fees for crew serving in Position Categories 1-3.
Please note: Medical benefits under this policy are only available in the event of an emergency evacuation. Policy benefits are outlined in the table below. If you would like additional coverage besides the benefits listed, you are encouraged to consider additional health insurance while you were away. If you would like to purchase additional medical and non-medical coverage, we suggest two options:
1. Purchase the Mercy Ships Top Up Plan from TTc which includes these extra medical and non-medical benefits. To add this additional coverage, go to TTc website and apply for the standard Outreach program. As long as you mention that you are with the Africa Mercy and Mercy Ships, you will automatically be given the special Top Up rates.
2. Purchase short-term travel insurance. Short-term Travel insurance is available in most countries and is often offered when you purchase your tickets through a travel agent. Cost is variable depending on the product you choose and the level of coverage.
Evacuation and repatriation policy
A group policy has been set up to cover evacuation and repatriation for crew serving in categories 1, 2, and 3. This policy will be paid for through the Mercy Ships crew fees and is provided by Talent Trust Consultants (TTc). Benefits are only applicable in the event of an emergency evacuation, therefore, we strongly encourage you to sign up for the TTc Top Up Plan or have your own medical insurance policy.
Evacuation and repatriation FAQs
No, any leave of absence would not be covered by this policy. Coverage would resume when the crewmember travelled to the ship or from the ship to their destination.
No, an LOA would not be covered by this policy. Coverage would resume when the crewmember travelled to the ship or from the ship to their destination.
No, the TTc policy does not meet the ACA’s MEC requirement. However, many of our US crew will qualify for an exemption from the requirement.
1. Living abroad, You are a U.S. citizen who was physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12-consecutive months.
2. Health Insurance: You already have health insurance coverage from another provider or healthcare sharing ministry.
3. Income below the income tax return filing requirement. Your income is below the minimum threshold for filing a tax return. The requirement to file a federal tax return depends on your filing status, age and types and amounts of income.
4. Short coverage gap. You went without coverage for less than three consecutive months during the year.
5. Affordability. You cannot afford coverage because the minimum amount you must pay for the premiums is more than the 8.5% of your household income. For example, if you ‘re household income while serving with Mercy Ships is $1000 and your month premium is more than $80.50.
If you do not qualify for any of these exemptions, you may be required to pay the tax penalty (Shared Responsibility Payment) as outlined in the U.S. tax code. For more information, consult a tax advisor or visit irs.gov.
Requirements for crew serving in Position Categories 4-6
Mercy Ships requires all crew serving in Position Categories 4-6 to obtain health, evacuation and repatriation insurance with the following three requirements before arrival:
- Adequate coverage of medical costs worldwide, including pre-existing conditions;
- Emergency evacuation with a minimum of US $250,000 per person from anywhere in the world to a location in which adequate medical care can be provided;
- Repatriation coverage (minimum US $15,000) of mortal remains worldwide.
Mercy Ships preferred provider is Talent Trust Consultants (TTc) which specializes in insurance for missionaries and meets all of our requirements. If you enrol with TTc, you will be billed through Mercy Ships on a monthly basis. However it is required that you sign up/enrol for coverage before you leave home. Details of their products can be found on the website at www.talent-trust.com.
Please note: TTc does not cover pre-existing conditions, therefore, if you have a pre-existing condition, you will need to find another insurance company or buy an additional policy.
Another option is Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services (URL: http://www.aaintl.com/provider-IMG.cfm); they work with several international carriers and can provide plans that cover pre-existing conditions. Gallagher can be reached at 800.922.8438 (US) or +803.758-1400 (International). You may also contact them via email at [email protected].
Whatever policy you obtain, it is important that you confirm your coverage by sending a copy of the policy confirmation to your Placement Facilitator at least four weeks before your arrival.