The Original Mercy Ship
This is where our story began. The flagship of our fleet for nearly three decades, the 1953-built Italian cruise liner was originally called the Victoria. In 1978, it was inherited as the first Mercy Ship, and the 159-meter vessel was converted into a mobile hospital, housing three state-of-the-art operating rooms, a 40-bed hospital ward, a dental clinic, a laboratory, an X-ray unit, and three cargo holds.
Renamed Anastasis, the ship sailed the high seas for 29 years, during which time an estimated 25,000 volunteer crew members served onboard. Never quite losing its Italian love heritage, over 250 couples met on its deck, and several weddings were held onboard, including one at sea.
Our ships are so much more than just hospital ships. They are an oasis in a foreign land and home to our international crew.
Formerly Victoria, Anastasis was built in 1953 as an Italian passenger liner and served as the flagship of the Mercy Ships fleet from 1978 to 2007. During that time, Anastasis has contributed more than half of Mercy Ships total output in terms of number of services, value, and beneficiaries. An average of 350 crew from more than 30 nations lived and worked onboard.
Anastasis, Greek for Resurrection, was modified to contain three fully-equipped operating rooms, a hospital ward, a dental clinic, a laboratory, an X-ray unit, three cargo holds, and accommodation for 420 crew. Deployed in 1978 and retired in 2007.
|Fleet Dates||1978 - 2007|
|Main Engine||(2) Fiat 7510, 8050 bhp each|
|Fuel Capacity||1,490 cubic m|
|Cruising Speed||14 knots|
|Built||Trieste, Italy, 1953|
|Aux Engine||(2) Wartsila 4R22/26, 540 kw each, (2) Daihatsu DL20, 600 kw each|
|Fresh Water Capacity||1,050 cubic m|